Skip to main content Skip to footer

Building Permits

The Building Department ensures all buildings are erected in accordance with Ontario Building Code, Township of Stone Mills By-Laws, and other applicable legislation. The department provides zoning compliance requests and building code information to the public and provides technical advice to Council, Committees and other municipal departments.

Township of Stone Mills Development Services will assist with all Building Permit Applications. All Applications for a Permit to Construct can be submitted by:


  • By mail or in person at 4504 County Road 4, Centreville, ON K0K 1N0

NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications and related inquiries received daily, we are unable to save or track incomplete applications. We ask that all applications be submitted in their entirety, accompanied by required documentation once collected.

General Building Permit

Building Permit Application Form

You must fill out a Building Permit Application before completing any of the following:

  • Construction of a new building
  • Installation or modification of heating, plumbing, air conditioning systems or fireplaces
  • Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
  • Change a building's use
  • Install, change or remove partitions and load-bearing walls
  • Make new openings for or change the size of, doors and windows
  • Build a garage, balcony or deck
  • Excavate a basement or construct a foundation
  • Renovate, repair or add to a building
  • Install an in ground or above ground pool, spa, whirlpool, or hot tub
  • Reconstruct a chimney.

Septic System Permits

For more information, please see our Septic and Wells page.

Payment Options:

  • Cash, debit or cheque in person at the Administrative office – 4504 County Road 4, Centreville ON or,
  • Online ePayment via credit card. When making a payment online, please ensure you input the correct payment amount and application number that was provided by building staff.

  • Painting or decorating
  • Install siding on small residential buildings
  • Build a utility shed under 161 square feet
  • Re-shingle a roof, provided there is no structural work
  • Install eaves troughs, provided that drainage is contained on your property
  • Replace dry-wall or plaster
  • Replace existing, same-size doors and windows
  • Install kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing
  • Erect a fence (except for swimming pools ­ outside pools require permits)

If you are in doubt whether a building permit is required or not respecting your project, please call us at the building department and we will be glad to answer any questions or concerns.

A building inspector reviews projects during different stages of construction to ensure work complies with the Ontario Building Code and the plans originally submitted with the building permit application. The inspector may visit a site several times depending on the project. They must be able to see the work that requires the inspection. All inspections needed for your building project will be marked on the backside of your Building Permit. An inspector requires a minimum of 48 hours' notice to book an inspection. Please contact the Building Inspector assigned to your permit file to book an inspection. 

The Building Code Act, 1992, governs the construction, renovation, change of use, and demolition of buildings. It also provides specific powers for inspectors and rules for the inspection of buildings, and allows municipalities to establish property standard by-laws.

The Ontario Building Code is a regulation made under the Building Code Act. It focuses primarily on ensuring public safety in newly constructed buildings, but also supports the government's commitments to energy conservation, barrier-free accessibility and economic development. It also:

  • sets out objectives and requirements for new construction
  • does not provide standards for existing buildings, except for small on-site sewage systems
  • establishes the qualification and registration requirements in Ontario for certain building practitioners

NOTE: Please submit all the required information (includes Building Permit Application and any additional documents) at the same time. If you do not submit all required materials, your application may be refused.

All construction must comply with zoning requirements, regardless of the need to obtain a building permit (e.g. 90 sq.ft. building would still need to meet the minimum property setback requirement). This information can be obtained by completing a Zoning Information Request Form.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the Township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.